The Cricut Air 2 is a die cutting machine that a lot of crafters will admit being a life-saver for those who love to craft and are in the market for a reliable machine that can meet their needs. This is one of Cricut’s bestselling machines, given that it is simple in design but very effective in its execution. Given that you probably found yourself here reading this article because you were trying to decide on whether the Explore Air 2 is a machine worth investing in we shall take an in-depth look into the machine reviewing most if not all of the details of this machine so we can assist you in making an informed decision.
Explore Air 2 Overview
The minimalistic, laid back design of the Explore Air 2, is often confuses a lot of individuals who end up dismissing the machine without giving it a second thought. However, an in-depth look at the, reveals a different narrative of why this is one of the best home cutting machines for crafters.
The Cricut Explore Air 2 which was launched in 2015 excels where other machines have failed as it is two times faster than its predecessors and offers crafters two modes namely the “fast mode” and the “normal use mode” that they can choose to work with. This device is compatible with smart devices meaning users can use their phones, tablets, and computers to create customized designs on the go allowing them a certain level of flexibility to work when they have some free time to spare. This machine brags dimensions of 12 “wide and 14” long which leaves users with a respectable working space capacity of 11.5” by13.5”. It is this kind of features that makes the Explore Air 2 so good that it can be used for lightweight commercial purposes.
It has some incredible features such as the premium German carbide blade, dual tool storage compartment, cartridge slot, Bluetooth technology, Grip cutting mat, and its internet-based Design Space software. Users will also value the fact that the machine is available in three different colors and so they’ll pick the one that best matches their aesthetic.
What can the Explore Air 2 do?
Cutting machines are often designed to simplify the life of crafters, and this advanced machine is no exception. Some of the things that the Explore Air 2 can do include:
Cutting intricate details: from snowflake designs to lace stationery designs and even flowers, this machine is capable of delivering detailed, elaborate designs that were previously not achievable. Anyone looking to achieve intricate designs should look no further.
Cut several materials: the technology applied to the Explore Air 2 allows for it to cut well over 40 different materials. From the overly thick and hardy materials like leather to the really thin ones such as paper and vellum, the Explore Air 2 can most likely cut it and do so with great precision. This is because the machine has a nifty inbuilt Smart Set dial that crafters can conveniently use to adjust the settings and change them accordingly based on which one meets their needs. Typically, there is a list of materials that one can cut, and a crafter simply has to set the dial to the right mode. Additionally, you will receive access to the machine’s Design Space that allows you to use a wider variety of material selection settings.
Design customized items: yes, you read that right. This machine just doesn’t cut. You can also create handwritten cards, clothing items amongst others that you can customize to your liking. This is possible because the Explore Air 2 comes with washable fabric pens that can be used to draw in any of the over 350 fonts available. Creating your customized item is a simple as loading your font of choice and letting the machine work its magic on the material you are working with.
Score materials: The Explore Air 2 is equipped with a nifty scoring stylus that can be used to create beautifully designed boxes, envelopes, 3D paper crafts, acetate pinwheels, and so much more. The scoring stylus enables users to create seamless fold lines on the materials being used. This stylus is a great tool for developing your crafting skills.
What We Liked About the Explore Air 2
- The 210 grams cutting power of this machine is really good. While it may not compare with some other cutting machines in the market, it can manage cutting depths of up to 1.5mm with the standard blade and 2mm with the deep cut blade.
- It is equipped with Bluetooth technology which allows for wireless printing and complements the machine’s compatibility with smart devices.
- The grip of the cutting mat is one of the best we have used, and it does not move around when the machine is being used.
- The Explore Air 2 is quite affordable and easy to use and as such anyone, regardless of their skill level can be able to use it.
- As previously mentioned, the Explore Air 2 is pretty fast, with double the cutting speeds of the predecessor cutting machines.
What We Did Not Like About the Explore Air 2
- In comparison to the Explore Air, the Explore Air 2 is loud, but this is not necessarily a deal-breaker as the noise is bearable.
- There is an Explore Air 2 design space app for iOS devices but not for android devices. We found this to be quite outrageous given that android devices are pretty much taking over the mobile industry globally.
- Crafters cannot use third party design software despite the Design Space software being overly basic, especially for experienced crafters.
The Explore Air 2 is, in our opinion, a perfectly great machine, given the list of characteristics and features, we have discussed above. Beginner crafters and hobbyist would certainly enjoy using this machine as it offers a wide variety of uses and unbelievable precision. We would certainly recommend this machine for anyone looking to give crafting a go.