If you’re a scrapbooker or a crafter, a Cricut machine is a must-have for you. Cricut machines mean you don’t have to rely on hand cutting shapes that can be a bit exhausting, they enable you to make stunning shapes and decorations by utilizing cartridges that come with pre-downloaded designs.
When thinking about buying a Cricut machine, there are various factors that you need to consider before choosing one. For starters, the ability to cut through different types of materials, wireless capability, software, ease of setup and use, cutting speed, choosing graphics and fonts as well as compactness. If these are not considered, you might end up with Cricut machine that doesn’t get the job done.
That said, we’ve gone through some of the best Cricut machines that you can purchase in the market today. Read on to find your pick!
1. Cricut Maker
The Cricut Maker is by far one of the best Cricut machines that you can get in the market. This Cricut maker is powerful, dependable as well as wireless-enabled.
- Has a double tool holder
- Enjoy a fast cutting speed
- Comes with a rotary blade that has a gliding and rolling feature that helps do an amazing job of cutting through different types of fabric
- Has an additional knife blade for cutting through thick materials
- The machine boasts of a cutting pressure of 4kg making it even more powerful
- Ideal for both beginners and professionals
- Well-priced making it affordable for most people
- Has a rich sewing library
- Its designed with a turbocharged engine
- Automated technology that easily detects the type of blade you are using and whether it is the right one
- Still makes use of the web-based Design Space software
- Has a limited cutting space
2. Cricut Explore Air 2
If you are looking for a machine to use for your light-duty commercial jobs, then the Cricut Explore Air 2 is the perfect choice for you. This machine has been highly ranked as the fastest Cricut machine available in the market and boasts of amazing power.
- Ranked as one of the fastest Cricut machines on sale
- Has a double tool holder making it able to cut, score and write all at the same time
- Send designs from SmartPhone to Machine easily with Bluetooth.
- Boasts of great writing and cutting speed given that the machine has two operation modes – a normal mode for usual pace cutting and a fast mode that allows you to cut with twice the speed
- The Cut Smart 2 technology does an amazing job of enhancing the quality of your cuts
- Has powerful cutting blades
- Ability to modify your own designs
- Available in four different colors comes in a compact design
- Easy-storage compartments available with the design
- Ability to operate this machine using the Design Space software
- Comes with more than 3,000 ready-made projects
- Doesn’t have an android app available at the moment
- A bit louder than most Cricut machines
- The Design Space software cannot be accessed without the internet
3. Cricut Easypress 2
The Cricut EasyPress 2 is a perfect choice for those looking to make customized crafts using iron-ons. This machine is not only easy to transport and use, but it’s also easy to store.
- Quite affordable
- Comes in three different sizes
- The 12 by 10 size is perfect for making large t-shirts, blankets, banners, and sweatshirts
- Customize your crafts in 60 seconds or less using the iron-ons
- Simple to use
- The design comes with an advanced heat plate coupled with a ceramic coated surface
- Has a slim design
- Some users have reported that it loses heat when in use hence needing multiple presses to achieve a professional look
- The instructions contained in the model can be better
- Smaller size means your design space is limited
4. Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting & Embossing Machine
This machine is different from most of the other machines in our review as it can be used without power or a computer and can also be used offline.
- Ability to be used offline, without power or a computer makes it more attractive
- Because it doesn’t use software, you don’t have to worry about software crashes
- Lightweight making it very portable
- Quite affordable
- Perfect Cricut machine for embossing paper and cards
- Has a simple design and interface
- Isn’t capable of cutting through different types of materials
- Has a small cutting surface
- Lack of freedom to create your own designs
- Only able to use manual dies which tend to be costly
As mentioned, a Cricut machine is an essential equipment for a crafter or a scrapbooker. When looking to purchase one, it’s important to consider things such as the cutting speed. Cutting speed is especially important as not all machines have a similar cutting speed. Some are fast while some are average. Besides, the faster machines also tend to be more costly.
Another factor to consider is the pressure adjustment and automatic depth. This is essentially important given that you will be cutting different types of materials and paper. While some machines have an automatic adjuster and can ensure that you are using the right blade for your cutting, some don’t, and you will have to do it yourself manually.
If a wireless machine is important for you, consider choosing one that has wireless connectivity such as Bluetooth to allow for easy transfer of designs from your phone to your machine. Also, decide whether you want your machine to have writing and scoring features as machines with these features tend to come at a higher price. At the end of the day, find something that works perfectly for you.
As a final thought, if you are using cricut print-and-cut, you should consider some of these best printers for Cricut.